In Our Little House

Many of you were surprised to hear just how much we have decided to get rid of in the name of Minimalism, but our home is in no way cold or bare. To us Minimalism simply means that we do not own anything that we do not love or use. Of course things are always changing our little home, and I thought I’d share a few pictures with you.
We started doing some Hanukkah crafts for a special project I am working on, and we love displaying the results around the home. All these crafts are soon to be joined by Christmas crafts as we are approaching December.

Our fun Coo Clock comes from Baby Republic and has made a real difference to learning to read the clock around here.

My lovely dad recently sent us a parcel full to the top with beeswax candles. They are such a Winter essential in our home, I love the warm glow and the gentle scent of honey. Of course candles are not very minimalist at all, but I don’t think I could ever give up having candles around the home!

Right next to where our Nature Table usually is we display the beautiful All My Seasons seasons cards that one of my best friends sent to us.
Not only are they a beautiful addition to the Nature Table, they also remind us of how loved and lucky we are.

We are also slowly trying to replace things that no longer work for us with better versions, and we recently bought an enormous wooden, magnetic world map puzzle via Achica, which is a members-only shop that I am getting slightly addicted to. We hope to replace our map wall decal with this map as soon as we have had a chance to re-paint our kitchen. The wall decal is not very detailed which makes it difficult to actually use, but the wooden map has 92 pieces, making it a great way to learn about the world.

I know that by replacing things we are not technically decluttering, but I think that anything that makes our life happier and better is okay, after all we are not becoming minimalists to fit someone else’s ideal.
How is your home looking in these early winter days?
Have you been decluttering or upgrading anything?
Have a lovely day!

This entry was posted in Journey Towards Minimalism, Our Tiny Home. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to In Our Little House

1. valerie says:

Your spaces look so lovely

2. Morag Duller says:

What a beautiful description. I spent the weekend doing some cleaning and simplifying the bedrooms. Generally just pulling things out and cleaning properly.
    Throwing things out that are broken, putting things in bags to take to the charity shop and making sure only the things we really need in the bedrooms are there. We now have two rooms that look good and it felt good going to bed last night knowing that the rooms would still look good in the morning. Shame I just need to do the same throughout the rest of the house.

3. Jennifer says:

You have some beautiful things in your home! I also try to have nothing in the home that we don’t love or use, I don’t like having things hanging around that we don’t need.

4. Natalie says:

I have been working for 2 years on decluttering my home!! It has been a wonderful thing to do! Now…I am starting to think in the direction that you are going…start owning some things that are meaningful and beautiful in our home. I love that beautiful map puzzle! Thank you for being inspiring :)

5. Natalie says:

I think it’s funny, also, that you have a clock you love. I was just telling my husband last night I need a beautiful wooden clock for our school/play room :) Great minds think alike!

6. Andrea says:

Lovely. The start banner is super fun.

This weekend I painted a new cabinet that I bought (unfinished) to replace two other pieced of old, mismatched furniture in our living room, in an effort to reduce visual clutter (of course, every piece of furniture that gets replaced upstairs creates more clutter in the basement. Sigh).

7. Amy says:

Hi! I’ve just started looking at your blog, so you may have said something about it before, but where is the map above the Hanukah stars from? Even if its not very detailed my son loves maps and I think he’d like that one on the wall. Thanks!