As you know we are in the process of reducing the amount of things we own. Over the past few months we have donated and gifted around 80% of our belongings, but those remaining 20% are still a lot.
I have been doing a little bit each day, adding up to about one to two carrier bags each week for charity,
as well as a carrier bag or two for friends.
(Some things on the way to a friend far away!)
Now that we are down to so little it is getting very difficult, I find myself having to make a decision about every item that leaves the house. Luckily this also means that I have been very cautious about letting new stuff come into our home.
I did buy one book yesterday because I just could not resist the beautiful illustrations, though.
Thinking about minimalism and the upcoming holidays has led to us making the decision to do our Chrismas & Hanukkah shopping over the next few months, and we already started. We have been doing a little bit of home shopping carefully reading reviews, making sure the things we buy will be loved and used.
(If you want to know what Santa and the Hanukkah Fairy are bringing this year just send me a message!)
This year we are using this rhyme to help us decide just what to buy:
Something they want,
Something they need,
Something to wear
And something to read.
Of course before the holidays we will also have another big day of decluttering and donating, currently using the guideline that any toy that has not been played with within the last two months will be donated or given to friends.
Of course we do consult the little ones on these decisions.
How are you handling holiday clutter in your home?
Have a lovely day!