A Happy Bedtime Tradition

Today I want to share our bedtime tradition with you.
Our bedtime routine starts with everyone brushing their teeth and putting on their pyjamas,
but instead of climbing into bed straight away, we close the blinds and gather around a candle on the floor where we then share stories.
We call this a campfire.
For such a long time people have gathered around fires to celebrate, share and be together,
so for our campfire we picked a variation of a Circle Of Friends candle holder.

campfire

The story we tell is usually the same story every day for about a week, because it comforts children to hear the same story often.
We don’t read the stories from a book but rather tell it, just like you would tell a story around a real campfire. Storytelling is such an old tradition, and it is a real art.
It might feel a bit difficult at first, but keep trying and it will get easier.
Sharing stories around the campfire makes bedtime a time to look forward to, and the time spent in the darkened room around a warm glowing candle makes everyone just sleepy enough to fall asleep quickly once they have been tucked into bed.
Do you tell stories in your home? What’s your favourite fairytale? (We’re always looking for new stories to share!)
Have a lovely day!

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A Happy Bedtime Tradition

1. Melissa Cherney says:

That sounds so amazing. You’re such an awesome mama. :)

2. April says:

This is such a wonderful idea. My girls are at the age where they love writing their own stories. This might be a fun way to incorporate their ideas as well!

3. Sharing stories is so wonderful!

One of my favourite fairytales (or perhaps more a folk tale) is ‘East of the Sun, West of the Moon’ – which is probably better for slightly older children. I also like the tale of ‘Princess Cottongrass and Long-legged Leap’ (although, again, it’s a little sad, I cried the first time I read it and maybe better for older children as it lacks the ‘good triumphing over adversity that younger children need from fairytales, but do read it yourself if you get the chance, there is a book called ‘Swedish Folktales’ illustrated by John Bauer, which has the most beautiful illustrations for the story.)

Also ‘Asa the Goose Girl’ (I’m lacking the accents to add) which I think you can find online as ‘Annie the Goose Girl’ or similar (it’s a Scandinavian tale – actually all the above are Norwegian or Swedish).

4. What a lovely way to end the day.

5. Rachel says:

This is so wonderful. I often turn to your blog for inspiration when I’m feeling overwhelmed and less than peaceful. We have incorporated a few of your ideas and they are some of the kids’ favorites. Way to go mama!

6. Neve says:

Oh! Whenever we go to bed, we dig out old books my dad used to read. One of my FAVOURITES! is Unle Arthur’s bedtime stories.

They’re really rare now

7. Neve says:

I also write stories, so, if you want, I can send them to you!

8. I love this idea. It will be something your children will always remember about their childhood.

9. cass says:

We don’t tell fictitious stories as such (although we do tell them occasionally), but my children are always begging me for ‘a story from when you were little, Mama!”. It’s lovely to mythologise my own childhood in this fashion, to share my own history with them and to let them know what happened ‘back in the day’. Love your idea. :)