Kid’s Craft : Camping Lantern

We made this cute little lantern the other day in anticipation of our Waldorf Playstands which will be arriving soon.
The little ones are very excited and can’t wait to turn our livingroom into a pretend campside for their Playstand Sleepover.

The lantern uses a battery operated tealight so it’s perfectly safe.

Kid’s Camping Lantern

You will need:

A plastic jar with lid & handle (While we usually avoid plastic it seemed safest to use for this project.)
Tissue paper in orange,yellow and red
White glue
A battery operated tealight

How to:
Cut out flame shapes from the tissue paper.

Mix 1 part glue with 2 parts water, dip your flames into the mix and glue them to the outside of the jar.
We started with red, glued orange over it and yellow on top. We found it easiest to put the glue mixture onto a shallow plate.

Let it dry , put in your electric tealight and enjoy!

Happy pretend-camping!

This entry was posted in Kids Craft, Tutorials, Waldorf. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Kid’s Craft : Camping Lantern

1. karla says:

I love this project, I think we’ll be making this for when my youngest goes ‘camping’ with his beaver group. You have a lovely blog with lots of fun ideas.

2. Kimmy says:

wow what a great lantern, I think I might copy this one!!
    Kimmy x

3. Mellie says:

This is an awesome idea! I know my kids will love this for our next camping trip. Thanks for sharing!

4. Becca says:

So beautiful! We’ll have to do this!

5. I must do this. Thanks for the tutorial!

6. Eva says:

Love it! I am so jealous you are getting play stands! We have wanted some for 9 years, but there is just absolutely no room in our tiny home…unless we get rid of the sofa or the piano, in which case either hubby or daughter will throw a tantrum…

7. beautiful— a great and easy project!!!
    I am loving all of your images!

8. Melissa Brenner says:

very cute! Where did you buy the jars? Thank you!!!

9. Kandi says:

Please tell me where you found the empty jar with lid and handle. I can’t find them online or anywhere.
    Super cute craft!
    Thank you!
    Kandi

10. Amy says:

Such a cute craft! Can you tell me where you bought the jars with the lid with handle? I can’t find them anywhere.

Thanks so much!

11. Renee says:

Love this idea! I think I’m going to use these for my son’s camping themed birthday party next month!

12. Pamela Cassidy says:

Very cool!!! Will share with our camp planners and my Brownie leader. What jars did you use??

13. Chastity says:

I see where several have asked but don’t see a reply so where did you find the jars would love to do this for Vacation Bible School Gods Big Back Yard. A camping theme

14. Chastity says:

I too would like to know where to purchase jars. Thanks for the idea this will be great for Vacation Bible School

• Kelly says:

I can’t find these jars any where either. I wish someone could tell us where to get them.

• Amy says:

I had asked about where to find these containers at in September for my son’s camping birthday party. I never heard back from anyone thru this blog and I searched all over the internet for them. I ended up finding some containers that weren’t these exact containers but worked for the craft. They were also fairly cheap which was good since I made them as party favors for his party. I got them at the Container Store. They come in different sizes and they look like paint cans. They are plastic with a metal lid and are see thru so I think they worked well and the kids loved them.

15. Wendy says:

I got these jars at AC Moore art supply store for .70 cents a piece. I teach 3-5th graders ad this is a great easy craft. They used them as night lights. We talked about how now when they look at the flames they should feel safe as it will remind them that od is always with them. Thanks for the idea!

• Sheree says:

Wendy thanks for idea on where to buy containers cheap! Would you mind giving specific information like item number? I need 30 of these containers.

16. Pingback: Camping Lantern « Five For Families Blog