homeschooling

I’m afraid I’m going to have to rant for a minute here.
If you read my blog then chances are you agree with at least some of the things we do,the way we raise our children and educate them. We co-sleep and our boys are intact. We don’t hit (or smack ) our children , we don’t let anyone cry it out and we certainly don’t force anyone to do anything they don’t want to. We don’t have a TV, (we do watch DVDs sometimes though!) we have family meals and family story time, we begin our day with a morning circle or meeting in bed, and, what I think is really quite a big part of our life, we homeschool.

(Pictures are from a recent nature walk in our little forest. Because “the world is our classroom“)

For the past four years we have seen our children grow from tiny helpless newborns into independent smart people.
I can only repeat again and again “you are your child’s first teacher“. We read to our little ones, we answer their questions, we take time to do experiments, go to the library to read a book about how something works, we learn together.
Our children actually enjoy learning!

I understand that to some people it seems like a crazy idea, because it’s not how they grew up, it’s not what’s normal for them, but it really makes sense when you think about it.
No-one knows your children better than you do. You know exactly how to meet their needs, how to make something fun for them, how to make them feel better when they are upset.
Teachers have to learn how to be teachers because they have to teach 30 (or more) students at the same time.
At home, you can give your child your full attention, when they understand something or learn something new you can build on that, you can move on, progress.
In school your child would have to wait for everyone else to do that.
If your little one has questions, wants to know more, they won’t be embarrassed to ask, and you can take the time to explain it to them as many times as they want to.
You can do fun experiments, you can go on school trips ,hey, a school trip to Spain for a history project sounds great , doesn’t it? And even if it’s not Spain, a trip to the garden can certainly be far more educational then reading about your garden in a book. And reading the book in the garden? I’m sure you know what I’m trying to say.
Besides, how many three year olds that are not homeschooled can tell you which leg-bones belong to which animal?

Anyway, my point is, the way we choose to raise our children, the choices we make for our family, we do these things because we feel they are the right thing to do. We know our children better than anyone else, and homeschooling is not easy, we give up a lot to do this, if we both worked full-time jobs we would life a much more comfortable life, but our children are worth it, we do it for them,
so please, don’t accuse us of “ruining their future”, because I happen to find that pretty offensive.

Aehm.
I hope your day was better than ours.
Here’s to tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Family, Tutorials, Unschooling. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to homeschooling

1. Aneta says:

Hi Miri,

I came across your blog a week or so ago, and have since read through your archives, without commenting, but now I read this post, and I feel I need to comment.

Everything I have read in your blog thus far leads me to believe that you are providing a safe, nurturing, loving and supportive environment for your children in which to grow. Your husband is supportive, and you are capable and loving. The two of you are doing your best to love and guide your children to develop physically, mentally emotionaly and spiritually, and your choices are to their benefit, as well as your family as a whole.

I feel that often when someone is confronted with a view or way of life other than their own, they will experience fear. It’s normal. But to then project that fear, based on ignorance, in a form of bullying, is wrong. Whoever it was that accused you of ruining your children’s future is obviously operating from this place of fear, ignorance and bullying.

In the end, you must do what is right for your family. You can try to educate others, but if they are disrespectful, you must remove yourself from their influence. That’s been my experience, anyway.

Hang in there. You are strong, and your family worth it.

I wish you all the best, and look forward to spending more time at your blog. Thanks Miri.

2. Eva says:

I think what you are doing is great! I think a lot of people are scared of the things they don’t know, so they strike out…

3. Lora says:

Exactly! Perfect post award.

4. Becca says:

Oh, I so know what you’re talking about. Already tongues are wagging in my hometown where we are moving. (because I’m going to home school my son) I don’t know why people think kids need a school to learn. Ah, well.

5. Lucy says:

Rant away! We’ve been lucky in that people are tolerant of our home edding choice in the family, and among our friends. I always say (even if I don’t actually believe) – home ed is a choice a day at a time, a term at a time, a year at a time, and the children’s needs will change over time and that may alter our choice of home ed or school ed. That helps people know we are child-centred and not dogmatically “forcing” our children to endure the social isolation and intellectual stagnation (not!) that is home ed. Blessings to you and your little “students”

6. Marina says:

You make such an eloquent point about educating your children. You are FAR from ruining their future! (and shame on anyone who would suggest that!) What you are doing is providing a rich and magical world for your children that will make all the difference in them wanting to learn! Kudos to you!
    XOXO, M

7. gorillabuns says:

I totally commend you and your children are better for your dedication.

If I tried to do so? My kids would suffer from both my impatients and stupidity.

Keep on doing what you are doing – NO QUESTIONS ASKED! it’s your life and you ARE their mother.

8. Kellyi says:

We’re home schoolers/ educators too.

Sadly, people will always be critical because we’re not following the traditional path.

It isn’t fair or right, it is just part of society.

9. What a great post… I know that sometimes I will put some of that on myself, but there have also been many times when others will hint at the above – are they getting enough academics, socialization, etc, etc…
    Plus, we also live outside the mainstream because we have chosen not to be a part of the consumer-driven society. We don’t have the money to afford fancy trips, clothes or lessons.
    So we have the double whammy, but I keep listening to my heart and so far so good.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

10. sian says:

I found your blog recently. I read a lot of american homeschooling blogs and it was a breath of fresh air to find a british based one!

I started at the beginning and have been reading through – saw this one and thought it a good point to start commenting.

I want to homeschool my baby boy. I don’t think my debts will be paid off in time to do this, but at the very worst I will flexi-school him. I just want you to know what a comfort reading a blog like yours is to me.

People that think like me are few and far between – but the way you are raising your little ones, it’s exactly what I strive for.

Parents know what is best for their little ones. How can a government curriculum which is trying to cater for every single young mind be more fitting than a tailored education provided by the people who know their babies minds the best.

But I thought I would say hello and let you know that I think you are giving your children the brightest future possible. Your playtimes and storytimes and baking and crafting are so inspiring, so thank you for sharing.