Grateful Friday

Grateful Friday

This week I am grateful for my sweet Emily .
The past month has been really hard for us.
Emily suddenly started to change. She could not hold a conversation anymore, she would not play, she would scream, yell & cry a lot,
& when a three year old says that drawing is really too difficult , when just a couple of days before it was her “most absolutely favourite ” thing to do, then you start to worry.
When she did sit down to draw for all of 10 seconds her drawings would look like this:

Really we are not the kind of parents who judge their little one’s artwork, but it was such a sudden change that it really scared us.
Even more scared us the possible reasons that could have caused this sudden change in our little girl,
a quick google will tell you that a sudden change in a child’s behaviour is most commonly caused by Leukemia or a brain tumor.

There has been a lot of crying & worrying, but we now finally, luckily, happily know that Emily simply has severe food allergies.
(Really a life without dairy & wheat seems like such a gift to us right now.)

We are beyond grateful to know our Emily will be just fine,
& since we cut out all dairy and wheat products we have been seeing her return so beautifully and quickly.
And the drawing? She is loving it again. And so are we.

What are you grateful for?

Wishing you a lovely weekend!

ps// I know that there are many families who are not as lucky as we are, & for whom a nightmare has come true, and I urge you to help these families and little ones by making a donation to the Make A Wish Foundation , because there is truly nothing worse than a seriously ill child.

This entry was posted in Family, Grateful Friday. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Grateful Friday

1. mamaUK says:

I so happy for you that Emily is back to her usual happy self again.

2. Darby says:

I am so thankful that it was a food allergy and not something else! I can’t have dairy either and it’s annoying.

3. Lucy says:

Such wonderful news. I can only imagine the fears and anxieties.

One of ours has longstanding behavioural and emotional issues, and while we mainly eat gluten free, he does have some bread and also lots of dairy. Did it take a big leap of faith to make the change for your family? Did you see your GP? I’m longing to think we could make a similar change and see him blossom.

4. Miri says:

Lucy, it was a bit difficult,we are jewish, so there a lot of things she already does not eat, and we bake so so much. Rice flour & soy milk work great , but they are expensive. But seeing her change so very much in just a few days shows how important this is, so we will keep going, & i am sure we will have lots of fun amd learn a lot on this new path!

(i will however really miss milk straight from the farm!)

5. oceans5 says:

So glad to hear Emily is doing better. My youngest daughter lost a friend(5 yrs. old) before Christmas to an inopperable brain tumor. It has been such a tragic and sad thing to go through. My daughter is feeling better about losing her friend now but the poor family has been through so much. You have a lot to be thankful for. Every single night I say my prayers and thank God for my healthy babies.

6. Alisha says:

i am sooooo glad you figured out that it was a food allergy. this is something i need to keep in mind with my own children as allergies run in our family as does adhd. so i’m trying to be really conscious about how we at right now (though i am a sucker for dairy and i know the baby doesn’t handle it well….but i luuuuuv dairy.)

7. heather says:

NICE that you figured that out so quickly for her. i know how hard it can be to trouble shoot family member’s behaviors, and not just the kids, you know? but once we zero in on it, given it’s not something really serious and over our heads, it feels so good to find balance and peace and joy again. that’s just the best feeling. much love. h

8. Caroline says:

*hugs* I’m so glad it’s a food allergy, and that you figured it out so quickly!

9. Kisa says:

so pleased its nothing too serious. One of my freind is writing an allergy cookbook, will keep you posted when she is done She has a wheat allergy too. Glad Emily is herself again and you dont have all that worry.